Saturday, May 10, 2008

Short, Sweet, & To The Point (I hope!)



How often is the phrase “run don't walk” overused? Probably way more than we are aware of. But for once, I can assure you that “run don't walk” is the right way of approaching a new show which has just opened on Broadway. It has one of those titles which gives you pause “Passing Strange”, but from the first moment that author/narrator Stew (don't you just love one name handles?) walks on stage, grabs a guitar, and starts the story rolling, you are riveted by the music, the theatricality, the oozing of raw talent on stage. It's a wonderful narrative, beautifully performed show, the story of a young guy who moves from South Central L.A. to Amsterdam (who hasn't done THAT trip?!) in the 70s/80s. The story is what it is (I do hate that phrase but everyone seems to have some clear idea what the hell it means... ) but what is really the key to this show, is what makes any show memorable. Being in the company, how ever briefly, of extraordinary talent interpreting wonderful music and lyrics.

I don't want to go on and on...but I'm tempted to (see how I can restrain myself when necessary), but like any great piece of theater, it wraps its arms around you and doesn't let go. You cannot keep your hands, your feet, still for an instant. Stew is a master, writing, singing, creating. Thanks for this gift.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely agree!! Not since "Bring In 'Da Noise, Bring In 'Da Funk" have I made images of a better show!